Another Article about Toxins and Fertility – from Erin Brokovich
Yet another article about toxins and human fertility…this time from none other than Erin Brokovich.
Her article, Plummeting Sperm Counts, Shrinking Penises: Toxic Chemicals Threaten Humanity, sheds light on the hormone-disrupting chemicals that are decimating fertility at an alarming rate around the globe.
I know that PFAS (“forever chemicals”) are like an abusive boyfriend saying, “I will never leave you.” But, like the abusive boyfriend, PFAS (and other toxins) are literally destroying you from the inside out. This is not hyperbole, this is just facts and science.
Watch the movie, “Dark Waters.” As a psychiatrist, here’s what I thought as the movie unfolded:
“If docile cows can turn homicidal and violent, imagine what it does to our brains and emotions! How much of what we call mental illness, especially bipolar and violent behavior, is really the downstream effect of such toxins?”
See what insights you can draw from the interplay between the movie and your personal experience.
It’s important to recognize that these harmful and ubiquitous chemicals affect every aspect of our physiology from fertility to mental health to immune health to metabolism to hormonal health and on and on.
What can we do?
- Educate oneself and others.
- Avoid and avoid some more – clean up your home, kitchen, office, school and personal care products. Clean up everything.
- Enhance your own internal detoxification pathways by eating clean organic nutrient dense diet, taking targeted supplements.
- Know your methylation gene status and work to fix them if needed.
- Reduce your body burden with activities like exercise and sauna to sweat them out.
- Regularly participate in detoxification programs. I highly recommend Panchakarma, Ayurveda’s 5000 year old detoxification and rejuvenation program, which is based on principles of internal and external oleation. These harmful chemicals are all fat soluble. Hence only oil based detoxification programs are truly beneficial to reduce your body burden. We all need this “oil change” at least once a year.
I highly recommend Panchakarma for all young people thinking of having babies, so we can birth a new generation that is less toxic than the current one.
- Talk to your local governments and help them take corrective action.
- Vote with your dollars at the marketplace and force companies to change practices by affecting their profits.
We can all do this!