As the days grow colder, I love to make this mushroom soup. It’s warm, savory and absolutely delicious. It’s great served alone or with rice. Enjoy!
- 1 red onion, chopped into small pieces
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, chopped into small pieces
- 1 TBSP gluten-free flour (I used Namaste brand)
- Mushrooms, diced medium size
- Red chili powder or cayenne powder or Paprika
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 7 to 8 soaked and peeled almonds
- 7 to 8 macadamia nuts
- Nutmeg powder or essential oil (I used the essential oil)
- Olive oil or ghee (I used ghee)
- 4 to 5 twigs parsley, hard stem removed and chopped fine for garnish
Heat 1 tbsp ghee. Saute onions and garlic on medium heat. When onions are just beginning to brown, add mushrooms and saute. Next add salt and chili powder and saute for a few minutes. Add Coconut milk and let it all simmer.
Now, mix 1 tbsp of gluten free flour with 1/4 cup water and make a fine paste without lumps. Add this paste to the soup and stir often to avoid clumps. If it is too thick, add water and stir often to get the right consistency.
Blend almonds and macadamia nuts into a fine paste and add it to the soup. Let the soup simmer for 5 min on low heat. Finally add 2 drops of nutmeg essential oil and chopped parsley. Simmer for a few more minutes. Adjust salt and heat to your taste.
Serve hot and enjoy! Great as a stand alone dish or with rice and a side of chicken and wild rice soup (as pictured).